Wednesday, February 16, 2022
Tuesday, February 1, 2022
Friday, October 15, 2021
I have been blessed, gifted, granted and yes, even privileged to have lived the life I have lived and the work I have performed. Defining myself by the work of an Imaginologist has been no simple feat however. With as much support as one receives, one also experiences conflict, resistance and passionate discredit to any human effort. Or so it seems to me. The nature of the beast, perhaps. To please is to also displease. The tao. Evil and Good. Heaven and Hell. Whatever you want to label this duality.
Performing and producing seemingly silly feats of fiction, must be perceived as toiling in the realms of fantasy and disconnectedness from reality by some.
From another perspective, Imaginology is continually producing transformative experiences to colleagues, partners, clients, artists and the general public. Our Character Studio opened February 2020, just as the malaise of plague times had begun it's stronghold on the United States.
The timing seemed incredulous and perfectly aligned with the needs of the moment. Bony Tony had just set foot in a new home to produce web episodes as the world tuned into the confines of their quarantine and seeking a voice of reason for the pandemic sickness and death tolls.
Puppetry With Purpose has always been part of our program. Since working with the live puppet performance troupe Skeleton Puppet Theater, I have often identified moments of overwhelming joy and delight as an unexpected production artifact is generated. A "level-up" if you will. A surprising and welcome extra outcome which seems a result of the formulae of collaborators and contributors to the project.
A few examples include:
- Autism workshop resulting in young adults on auspbergers spectrum interacting with live, animated characters and exercising facial muscles with "eyebrow pushups" and other simple interactive games enabled by technology.
- AZDragoneers introduces transformational art experience in the form of a balloon with a secret message inside. Exchanged when popping, after writing a message for transformation on the outside.
- PTSD military veteran with PTSD sits awkwardly at lunch table discussing his project, but lights up and plays, smiles and engages entirely when introduced to Imaginology live green key studio and puppets.
- Larry The New Kid, a character purchased from a local toy shop becomes a leading role in a promotional commercial for FilmBar Phoenix. Father states that his daughter "had a breakthrough moment" in which he described her courage to perform as permission to "play" and remain curious and imaginative.
- Bony Tony character performs at Halloween 2020 to tears of joy by a local visitor who won the costume contest for wearing a 2020 dumpster fire costume.
- Bony Tony and Stephen Jenkinson discuss grief work and how young people understand death more than adults often credit.
- Filming The Skeletones band video in Studio 8 with UV black light. The characters popped immediately on the screen and showed us how much potential a skeleton band has.
- First time back yard performance of Flesh Eating Ghouls From Outer Space and someone asks if we can make a movie of it, because they want to see it again. Imaginology produces DVD in 2004.
- Breakthrough character design and development moment as high school student visits Imaginology studio to design, sculpt and animate his own punk-rock reptile character. Kid Tyke picked up several illustration jobs and has since progressed into his college career at NAU.
Although these are examples of observation, they also qualitatively confirm the effectiveness of intention based work. A statement from the individual themselves is sometimes the only payment for the work performed. The cash or credit exchange for labor conducted is for another topic, yet these moments are the soul food that encourages the work to continue and serve as examples of how intention guided work yields results directly related to the intention/goal.
Puppetry With Purpose may very well be a hidden element of our intention to "improve the human condition" being an underlying mission. The surprise inside the box.
This is not currently a marketable term, but we have now written it into existence "Puppetry With Purpose". Imaginology and it's associated partners shall be the primary benefactors, as so many have committed their time, energy, beliefs and other resources to enable Puppetry With Purpose at Imaginology. Of course, the opposite may also be true, if only to remain balanced in statement, not action or intention.
To all our relations. Aho.
Nathaniel Jack Greene
Founder and Chief Imaginologist
Friday, October 8, 2021
A very special episode of The Afterlife With Bony Tony.
After a short hiatus, Bony Tony is back with more of what you love. Death, taxes and grief...right!? Yer killin' me! Yer killin' me!!
Bony Tony has been hard at work establishing a better understanding of how this generation of humans cope with their mortality. Although 2020 was especially challenging for many humans, Bony was there for you and even hosted a Halloween Experience to help our friends work through the some of the anxiety, pain and anguish that the year provided.
Although 2021 has been a small step forward in the global condition, we are still experiencing what Stephen Jenkinson would refer to as "plague times". The man is what few can carry as a title of "grief walker". An individual dedicated to the realities and impending fate of all humans, that is so easily pushed aside or considered taboo to talk about. AKA Bony Tony's favorite topic.
Stephen is a worker, author, storyteller, culture activist, and founder of Orphan Wisdom, a teaching house for skills of deep living and making human culture that are mandatory in endangered, endangering times.
Bony was fortunate to catch Mr. Jenkinson at his teaching house Orphan Wisdom in Ontario for a cup of tea and to wax the word realistic with the man who speaks Bony Tony's language of death, dying and grief processing.
More information at: https://orphanwisdom.com
Thursday, September 30, 2021
TBT pandemic summer 2020...the city is in lock down, no concerts, movies or theater has been enjoyed all year long. Now it looks like FilmBar is shutting it's doors and leaving Cleatus INSIDE! Big mistake! Cleatus grows tired and lonely quick, and starts calling characters to come crash FilmBar and watch movies. After all, puppets can't catch COVID they don't have lungs!
Ringing up Snood City, Bony Tony, Simon, Larry, Flo and more, suddenly a party arrives and takes over the place. Twinkies, shenanigans and more ensue as puppets and characters arrive in droves to watch Flesh Eating Ghouls From Outer Space!
Be sure to join us during a special one-night only showing of Flesh Eating Ghouls From Outer Space Saturday, October 23rd, 2021 and contribute to the cast of characters enjoying FilmBar being OPEN! You will NOT want to miss this! https;//filmbar.eventive.org
Special thanks to David Dupree @daviddupreephotographer, Lux Kiddo @lux.kiddo, @snood_city, Andrea Canales, Mike Butzine @mkbutz and Skeleton Puppet Theater.